Friday, September 23, 2011

Thai Curry Green Beans




Classes have started again and that means I'm back to cereal for breakfast and lunch (sometimes dinner) but when I have a couple of minutes to spare; greens are king. The recipe below took me about ten minutes to make including prep time. I was able to utilize one of my favorite kitchen tools: the wok. Because stir fries are generally cooked at a high heat it is important that you don't use olive oil, I repeat do not use olive oil here. Olive oil has a low burn temperature and you'll have a kitchen full of smoke in no time. Not that I know personally, but I heard my friend had to crack every window in her one bedroom apartment to get rid of the smoke the first time she test drove her new wok. I mean that's what I heard.


Thai Red Curry Paste




Here's what you need:

  • 1 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1/2 red onion sliced
  • 16 oz package of fresh green beans
  • 2 tsp tamari or soy sauce
  • 2 tsp Thai red curry paste
  • 2 tbsp almonds slices


Here's what  you gotta do:

  1. Snap off the tops of the green beans. ( the branch looking parts)
  2. Heat oil to medium high  in a wok or large pan. Add onions and stir fry for 1 minute.
  3. Add green beans, soy sauce, and curry paste to the wok. 
  4. Stir to coat beans with sauce. Stir fry for 5 minutes.
  5. Add almonds and cook for and cook for 1 more minute.
Will serve 4 as a side dish*



**Go ahead and make it a meal by adding 8 oz of extra firm tofu seasoned or plain. Cut the tofu into 1/2 inch cubes and add to the wok in the last 2 minutes of cook time. Serves 2.


                                      Life is Delicious...Go Taste it!

No comments:

Post a Comment