Monday, September 8, 2014

Duct Tape Accent Wall

I was so excited to move into my new office. It is a huge step towards world domination furthering my business goals. I found a great building with a great staff. I decide to forgo the window and save $150 extra a month. No window meant that I had to get creative with the white walls. My office is on the small side so I decided to go with big impact decor that would not overwhelm the place. I scoured decorated website looking for a way to do this. I knew that I did not want to paint. I love the impact changing a wall color can make, but lets face it, painting is a time suck. I had to get settled in. move legal files, do a marketing blitz and be ready to attend to clients. Painting was just out of the question. while browsing the interwebs I came across this...









That wall was painted grey years prior and the homeowners decided it was time for something new. They used white duct tape to create the diamond shapes and created a unique backdrop for there bedroom. I was blown away, here was the wonderfulness I wanted and I didn't have to paint anything. While I loved the diamonds the homeowner remarked at how labor intensive  measuring and lining up the tape just so was, that I decided simple was best. I envisioned pared down horizontal lines in black. 
I set off to my local Target to get the goods.



Here's What You Gotta Have:

  • Measuring Tape
  • Pencil or crayon to make measurements
  • Duct Tape
  • Box Cutter or Sharp craft Knife 






This is a "Before" photo of the Wall a decided to jazz up. Pretty boring huh?





Here's What You Gotta Do:



Starting at the ceiling, measure the distance you want your lines to be. I choose ten inches. I planned to hang my diplomas and certificates in this wall and wanted to make sure that the frames would overlap the lines. But experiment ans see what works for you







I used plain black duck tape. But apparently Duck Tape makes a wide variety of decorative and colorful tapes now.







I started taping in the middle to see if I liked the spacing before I got to deep into the project.








Start at the edge of the wall and pull the tape taunt. Be sure to line the top of the tape up with the marks you have made. You can always lift the tape and reposition it if it goes wayward.








At the edge of the wall or where you want the tape to stop, use your box cutter or craft knife to cut the unwanted tape off.
( I used sharp scissors because I lost my box cutter, it definitely would have been easier with a box cutter. 









Here is the wall after all the tape was applied. 










It took less than one roll of duct tape and just under and hour and a half to finish. 










Angle of the wall with the frames hung.










This is likely the first thing you see when you walk into the office space.








Close up angle of my degrees hung on the wall. 



I am really amazed at how simple this project turned out to be.
I was able to do it quickly and it created a bit of dazzle in my office without being overbearing. And if I decide to upgrade to the office with the view the tape will be a lot easier to peel off then having to repaint the wall. 



Life is Delicious...Go Taste It!



No comments:

Post a Comment