Saturday, July 9, 2011

Tasting : Hemp Milk

    Whenever I do a big grocery run I try to pick up at least one item that is not a part of my usual list. This last grocery outing I saw that hemp milk was on sale. At a dollar less than the surrounding dairy replacements, I had no excuses.  I've always wanted to try this kitschy dairy replacer, but couldn't justify veering from my sure bet (sweetened vanilla almond milk) for the higher priced alternative. 
  Despite the fact that Hemp milk comes from the infamous cannabis plant, mother fauna of marijuana, it will not get you high.  Unlike pot, which comes from the bud of the cannabis plant, hemp milk and most hemp products do not contain THC, the mind-altering chemical associated with marijuana.
      So why drink hemp milk? Hemp milk serves as a good alternative to the typical dairy substitutes because it is made from the hemp seed and does not carry any of the allergens that trigger soy or tree nut allergies. It is also chock full of Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids (the good fat).
        I tried the sweetened vanilla flavor served ice cold as suggested on the box. It was creamy and similar to the consistency of almond milk, but I thought it was just ok. There was a hint of cardboard flavor that I wasn’t exactly thrilled about. When poured over cereal or added to a smoothie the cardboard flavor disappeared. I don’t have any of the allergies I mentioned and perhaps the cardboard flavor is indicative of the brand I choose, but I don’t think this will be replacing my usual almond milk.
            

No comments:

Post a Comment