Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Seitan and Barley Bowl with Lemony Tahini Sauce


I've learned that while I don't really need to leave my house, I do need to eat. So I feel completely guilt -free when I take a few minutes to cook and post my study break meals. I get to share cool recipes and not starve. I'd say its a win-win. This delicious bowl is jam packed with goodness: barley, kale and seitan, smothered in a creamy (but diary free) sauce. It really can stand as a meal all on its on. Perfect when you're big on hunger and short on time. 



Seitan and Barley Bowl with Lemony Tahini Sauce


Here's What You Need:

  • 1 1/2 cup Brown barley cooked
  • 3 cups kale
  • 10 oz can of braised Gluten aka Seitan Tidbits Drained*
  • 1 tsp sesame seeds ( optional garnish)


Tahini Lemon Sauce
  • 2 Tbs Soy Sauce
  • 2 Tbs Tahini
  •  1 1/2 Tbs Lemon Juice
  • 1 Tbs Rice Vinegar
  • 1 Tbs Water
  • 1 Tbs Olive Oil
  • 1 tsp garlic minced
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger


Here's What You've Got To Do: 

  • Mix all of the ingredients for the sauce in a small mixing bowl and set aside
  • In a large pan, over a medium heat, sauté the seitan until it becomes a deep brown (around 10 minutes)
  • Add kale to the pan and cook until the kale begins to wilt. 
  • Add the brown rice and Lemon tahini sauce to the pan.  
  • Split between two bowls and garnish with sesame seeds. 


 Serves 2 very hungry people
( Or in my case, one hungry person who loves left overs!)







I found the canned Seitan at my local Asian Grocery store $1.69/10oz can*





I used 10 minute Barley from Trader Joe's. I made the whole bag according to the directions and have been throwing barley in everything, salads stir fries, the dog's bowl. 





Tahini is a paste made from hulled and ground sesame seeds. You can usually find it in the Kosher section of your local grocery store. 



Life is Delicious...Go Taste It!






No comments:

Post a Comment