Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Colored Sugar "Glitter"

I usually refuse to work with glitter. Period.  It spreads everywhere, gets into everything, and its impossible to get rid of. It is the herpes of the craft world. But I really wanted to make my White Chocolate Dipped Pretzel Rods special for Valentine's day. I found this recipes all over Pinterest, but everyone complained that the sugar melts. Well, I just turned the heat down and viola...a fun way to add some bling bling to your sweets.




Here's What You Need:


  • 1/4 cup Sugar ( white or light works best)
  • Food coloring of your choice
  • A glass jar with a lid ( optional)



Here's What You Gotta Do:

  1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees
  2. Pour sugar into a jar that has a lid.
  3. Add drop by drop the desired food color. 
  4. Put the lid on the jar and shake the sugar in between drops until you reach your desired color intensity.
  5. Spread the sugar out over a 8x8 baking pan and bake at 300 degrees for 10 minutes.
  6. When sugar is dried, pull the pan out of the oven and let your "glitter" cool for 5 minutes.
  7. Pour and store in a airtight container for later use





I didn't have white sugar but the natural light sugar worked just fine








    • For the pink color, I used two drops of red food coloring
    • For the teal color, I used 4 drops of blue and 2 drops of green food coloring








I tried mixing it in a bowl at first, but the jar was the best way to get the color evenly distributed through the sugar. 








Sparkly Goodness that you can wash away.








Blinged Out Pretzel Rods!







No comments:

Post a Comment