Monday, April 28, 2014

DIY Yoga Mat Cleaning Spray

I am the sweaty lady at the gym. Whether I'm strength training or tying my shoes, I can usually be found covered in a fine mist of newly made sweat. So it was no surprise that my yoga mat smelled of gym socks after a few sessions of Bikram Yoga. In the past, I’ve just washed my mat in the bathtub with Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castile Soap. My mat would be squeaky clean but it would take about three days to air-dry. In search of a more efficient way to clean my yoga mat, I took to the interwebs. I came across some "natural" commercially produced brands. They had ingredients I couldn't pronounce and a price tag I couldn't justify. I found tons of homemade recipes, but a number of them featured vinegar as an ingredient. After my experience using vinegar as an all-purpose cleaner, I knew I could not and would not deal with the smell of vinegar while in Half Tortoise pose. This recipe is a pared down version of several homemade recipes and uses Witch Hazel instead of vinegar. 



Here's What You Gotta Have:


- Water
- Witch Hazel
- Tea Tree Oil
- Peppermint Essential Oil
- Spray Bottle



Here's What You Gotta Do:


  1. Fill the spray bottle up 3/4ths the way with water.
  2. Fill the remaining amount with Witch Hazel.
  3. Add 1 drop of Tea Tree oil per ounce of liquid (So if your spray bottle is 8oz, you would add 8 drops of Tea Tree oil.)
  4. Add 1 drop of Peppermint oil per ounce of liquid.
  5. Twist the spray lid into place and vigorously and shake the bottle for a minute.
  6. Spray a generous amount of the Cleansing spray onto the mat and wipe down with cleansing cloth or paper towel. Turn the mat over to other side and repeat.
  7. Hang the mat and let air-dry.










Tea Tree Oil has natural antiseptic and antifungal properties.

Witch Hazel is an astringent that is commonly used to treat skin ailments, but can also be put to use as a cleaning agent; like isopropyl alcohol and hydrogen peroxide, the chemical cuts through grease and helps break up dirt and oils from skin and sweat.






Life is Delicious...Go Taste It!


No comments:

Post a Comment