Saturday, October 26, 2013

Pink Ribbon Day

This month is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Cancer is a disease that manages to wiggle its way right smack dab into the middle of your rose colored sun-glasses. It changes the way you view the world and your time in it. When my mom discovered a lump in her breast, I heard the air slowly seep out of the room. My dad’s sister lost the battle with breast cancer while I was in middle school. She was bright and warm and had a library that inspired me to read furiously. We knew what cancer looked like and knew that it did not spare the good and disregarded the lovely.The test results from my mother’s lump revealed that the troublesome mass was benign, but we were all pretty shaken. My family was lucky. 
   Today I attended a fundraiser tea for the Lisa Boccard Breast Cancer Fund, a grass roots organization that provides free mammograms and treatment for woman. At tea time my mom and I heard stories of women who had survived their bouts with breast cancer and a young woman, my age that has been in remission for three years. We chatted with family members and friends who served as a support system for their ailing relatives; and mom even managed to pick up a prize as the winner of a "Fabulous Hat" competition. The day was filled with hope and inspiration. I was reminded that pink ribbons are more than just cute accessories, they are a reminder that everyday is gift. 









I choose short  a navy blue circle dress for the tea party.




Two Vintage Pearl necklaces, Clip-on earrings: Goodwill
pink ribbon pin and bracelet provided by the Warren Family, who hosted the 
Lisa Boccard Breast Cancer Fund Tea Party Fundraiser

See: Vintage Scarf Sunhat DIY Below**





Sandals: Micheal Kors





Super fab lipstick pen provided by the 
Warren Family on behalf of the Lisa Boccard Breast Cancer Fund
The nail color "Rocking Amethyst" by Arissa is perfect for fall despite lingering summer weather.






Arm yourself with knowledge so you can help kick breast cancer's butt!





Mom's Award Winning hat!                    









  My near Marilyn Monroe moment





DIY: Vintage Scarf Sunhat




What You Need:

1. Janky old straw hat (this one is my dad's old gardening hat)

2. A vintage scarf  at least three to four feet (36 to 48inches long) I picked up this vintage Bill Blass beauty at Goodwill for $2.

What You Gotta Do:

1. Tie a vintage scarf around the crown of your hat. Make a bow or tie a double knot and let the fabric just flow down the back of your hat.

2. Put on hat and be fabulous!







Life Is Delicious...Go Taste It!



No comments:

Post a Comment